Call for WWSSS’18 Proposals
The Steering Committee of the WSTNet Web Science Summer School (WWSSS) invites interested parties from commercial, academic or public domain to submit bids to host WWSSS in 2018. The call consists of two stages: first an expression of interest and second a full proposal.
Stage 1: Expression of interest (due 15 June)
Parties interested in hosting WWSSS’18 contact Prof. Dr. Steffen Staab from the Steering Committee. Please send your expression of interest in pdf format. 1 page should be sufficient. Please include the following information:
- Details of proposed site: country, city, and venue
- Accommodation: number and categories of hotels and hostels in the site’s neighbourhood
- Local organisation: name(s) and contact information of the local organiser(s), hosting institution
- Time and duration of the summer school
Optional further information can include any other relevant details that you feel will support your application (e.g. international connectivity and attractiveness of the site, range and average of accomodation costs, experience of the host in organising related events, etc.).
The deadline for submitting the expression of interest is 15 June 2017. The Steering Committee will decide on the submitted bids and inform both successful and unsuccessful applicants until 15 July 2017.
Stage 2: Full proposal submission (due 30 September)
Successful applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal. The full proposal should be sent to Prof. Dr. Steffen Staab from the Steering Committee. Please submit the proposal in pdf format and do not exceed 10 pages. It should contain the following information:
- Venue: attractiveness of the location, distance of accommodation
- Timing: targeted event week and key dates
- Student costs and support: estimated costs for international students, student grants, special conditions for participation and/or accommodation
- Program: foundational Web Science topics and special lectures, networking events
- Financial viability: draft of the financial plan including major fixed and variable costs
- Organisation: local organiser consortium and its expertise in event/hosting management
- Dissemination and publicity: plans for reaching the target audience, opportunities to share WWSSS materials within Web Science community
Again, you are welcome to include any additional details you feel will support your application, for example hosting facilities, transportation options, social program options and opportunities for personal dialogue with WWSSS lecturers, strategy for acquiring high-quality Web Science lecturers and sponsors, accompanying events (e.g. podium discussions, poster sessions, etc.), potential risks and reasonable fallback options, travel restrictions or special visa requirements, etc.
The deadline for submission is 30 September 2017. The steering committee will decide on the location of WWSSS’18 and inform the applicants until 31 October 2017.
- 15 June 2017: Deadline for expressions of interest
- 15 July 2017: Notification and call for full proposals
- 30 September 2017: Deadline for full proposals
- 31 October 2017: Notification of acceptance Support and further information
If you have any questions, Prof. Dr. Steffen Staab from the Steering Committee would be happy to help.